Back in the Day: January 6th - The Coca Cola Cup Kids

Back in the Day

Thursday 6th January 1966

On the 6th day of the year, God was born.


Happy Birthday, Attilio.

Sunday 6th January 1991

Crystal Palace 0-0 Nottingham Forest

FA Cup 3rd Round – Att: 15,396

Manager: Steve Coppell

After famously making it all the way to the FA Cup final the previous season, Palace were handed a tough third round draw against Nottingham Forest. For many Palace fans, drawing this game, with hindsight, would prove a massive pain in the backside.

Palace would have to travel to the City Ground twice for replays (after the first replay Palace lost a coin toss that meant that Forest would host the second replay). To make things worse, THREE TIMES the games were called off – TWICE when the travelling support were already in Nottingham.

It doesn’t stop there either – straight after the two replays, Palace had Forest away in the League.

Replay One – Monday 21st January - Forest 2-2 Palace

Replay Two – Monday 28th January – Forest 3-0 Palace

League Match – Saturday 2nd February – Forest 0-1 Palace

At least it all ended with a win, but after all that frustration, not many Palace fans shed a tear when Forest let a 1-0 lead slip in the final against Spurs.

Wednesday 6th January 1993

Crystal Palace 3-1 Chelsea

League Cup 5th Round – Att: 28,510

Manager: Steve Coppell

It was widely expected that this game would be called off with the rain pouring down and the pitch akin to a marsh. Instead, the referee was happy for the game to go ahead and Palace capitalised on the conditions almost immediately. Frank Sinclair’s pass back got stuck in the mud and Chris Coleman (5) stole in to slot the ball into an empty net. Or does he? His shot also gets stuck in the mud but the Palace number 4 got just enough purchase on his shot for it to squirm over the line.

Andy Townsend (18), yes the annoying commentator, then scored a superb solo effort before the “Coca-Cola Cup Kids” took over. First, GeorgeNdah (34) turned home from close range and then Grant Watts (48) scored for the second round running, volleying home from close range.

Saturday 6th January 2001

Sunderland 0-0 Crystal Palace

FA Cup 3rd Round – Att: 30,908

Manager: Alan Smith

Despite Sunderland playing in the Premier League and Palace in the Championship, this was the second match between the two teams this season. Clinton Morrison had sunk the Mackems in the Quarter Final of the League Cup just under three weeks earlier and a draw in this one meant a Selhurst Park replay

Hayden Mullins was sent off for Palace just before the hour but the Eagles remained resolute. Stan Varga also saw red for the hosts, but this was only a minute from the end.

Saturday 6th January 2007

Crystal Palace 2-1 Swindon Town

FA Cup 3rd Round – Att: 10,238

Manager: Peter Taylor

When Sheki Kuqi nodded home a Stuart Green corner on 8 minutes, it looked like League Two Swindon would be in for a tough afternoon. Instead, the score remained 1-0 until the 70th minute when Jobi McAnuff smashed home from the edge of the area.

Jerel Ifil (85) scored late on to deservedly give Swindon something to cheer about.

Thursday 6th January 2011

Steve Kember returned to the Club to take up a position as Chief Scout.

All Results               

What Happened Yesterday?

January 5th

Alex Kolinko pulled off this save at Newcastle back in 2002.

Did you find this Article interesting?

Tweet us your comments