Back in the Day: February 12th - Everton Away Postponed Last Minute

Back in the Day

Saturday 12th February 1921

Newport 0-1 Crystal Palace

League Division Three South – Att: 12,000

Manager: Edmund Goodman

The Glaziers picked up another vital win to stay 3 points clear at the top of the Southern Section of Division Three. The Jack Connor inspired victory put much-needed points on the board as second-placed Swindon Town had three games in hand on Palace – with two matches due against The Robins to come a month later.

Palace would need not worry in the long run. They had already lost their last game of the season and were two games into a sixteen game unbeaten run (10 wins 6 draws) that would see them to promotion to the second tier of English football for the first time in the Club’s history.

Saturday 12th February 1994

Grimsby Town 1-1 Crystal Palace

League Division One – Att: 6,302

Manager: Alan Smith

The previous game was on the way to Palace’s first every football league title, this match was during the last title win back 1994.

Grimsby Town were the draw specialists this season, having drawn half their games, and struck late to keep up their record. Gareth Southgate (27) gave Palace the lead with a stunning header, in off the underside of the bar, but a Clive Mendonca (88) strike two minutes from time

Saturday 12th February 2000

Crystal Palace 1-1 Sheffield United

League Division One – Att: 14,877

Manager: Steve Coppell

Former Palace striker Marcus Bent (49) gave the visitors the lead just after the break before running off to celebrate in front of the visiting supporters, kissing the United badge in the process. How many badges did he wear in his career again?

With a minute remaining, however, Clinton Morrison (89) swept home a Fan Zhiyi flick on to rescue a point for the Eagles.

Crystal Palace Links: Neil Warnock managed the Blades, with scorer Marcus Bent being replaced by Shaun Derry in the second half.

Wednesday 12th February 2014

Everton P-P Crystal Palace

Premier League

Manager: Tony Pulis

A mere 45 minutes before the scheduled televised fixture between Everton and Palace was due to kick off, high winds saw the game abandoned. With tiles blowing from the rooftops in the grounds surrounding areas, the fixture was deemed unsafe.

It was bad enough for the Palace fans that had made the trip from London (including several supporters’ coaches that hadn’t even passed Swansea at the time of the postponement), but it took extra liberties for one Everton fan – Ric Wee.

The man had travelled 7,000 miles from Kuala Lumpur where he had supported Everton for 30 years from afar to see his first Everton match.



Palace would win the rearranged fixture to ensure Premier League survival in April.

All Results

What Happened Yesterday?

February 11th




Did you find this Article interesting?

Tweet us your comments