Back in the Day: April 14th - Bert Head Appointed as Manager of Crystal Palace

Back in the Day

Thursday 14th April 1966

Crystal Palace appointed Bert Head as manager. The Glaziers poached their man from Bury who were dismayed to lose their man to Arthur Wait. The Bury chairman said:

“We’ve lost, and you’ve got the best manager in the business.”

Three years later and Palace were heading to Division One for the first time in the Club’s history under Head's stewardship.

Bert would take charge of 335 matches across all competitions, posting a win percentage of 31.3%.

Saturday 14th April 1979

Bristol Rovers 0-1 Crystal Palace

League Division Two – Att: 10,986

Manager: Terry Venables

League leaders Brighton lost at Cardiff, and all of the chasing pack took advantage. Sunderland won at Leicester to pull level on points (49) with the Weed and Stoke won at Cardiff to move onto 48 points, as did Palace with this win.

Ian Walsh scored the only goal of the game to beat the Gas, who were in a torrid period of fixtures. The previous week they hosted Sunderland, two days later they travelled to Brighton and one day, yes one day, later they travelled to Stoke – in just 11 days they had to play the top four of the division. You’ve got to laugh when people complain about fixture congestion in the modern day!

Saturday 14th April 1984

Crystal Palace 0-1 Chelsea

League Division Two – Att: 20,450

Manager: Alan Mullery

Saturday 14th April 2007

Crystal Palace 2-2 Wolves

Championship – Att: 17,981

Manager: Peter Taylor

Peter Taylor called for a “strong end” to a damp squib of a season. On twelve minutes the Gaffer’s rallying call seemed to work. Mark Hudson (12) headed home a Ben Watson free kick and Palace led in the sunshine.

Like much of Peter Taylor’s reign as Manager, it was a false dawn. The Palace fans had barely finished singing “Glad All Over” after the goal when Jay Bothroyd (13) equalised for the visitors with a looping header. Less than ten minutes later, Bothroyd put the Palace goal scorer, Hudson, on his backside and fired Mick McCarthy’s men into the lead.

Unlike most of that season, Palace actually showed some character and equalised 15 minutes later. Ben Watson won the ball in his own half and set Shefki Kuqi away with a pass. The Finnish striker advanced into the area before cutting the ball back to Jobi McAnuff (37) who made no mistakes with the finish – although at first glance it appeared to hit the post and bounce out, but it had bounced off the advertising hoardings behind the goal. I wonder what Rob Shoebridge would have done with that one!

Palace came alive with the equaliser, and McAnuff tried to break clear, only to be stopped by Mark Little. The Wolves defender had already been booked and would see his second yellow, two minutes before the break.

The second half failed to live up to the fireworks witnessed in the first, and Clinton Morrison missed the big chance of the second half when it came along, Jackie McNamara blocking his effort from inside the six-yard box.

Other Results

What Happened Yesterday?

April 13th



Did you find this Article interesting?

Tweet us your comments