Back in the Day: January 17th - Malcolm Allison Takes Charge of His Final Palace Match

Back in the Day

Saturday 17th January 1981

Crystal Palace 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

League Division One – Att: 15,423

Manager: Malcolm Allison

Malcolm Allison took charge of his last ever Crystal Palace game. It seems inappropriate that the man who inspired such excitement should go out on a score draw, but then again, the unpredictable always did suit him.

From the outside, a 34% win percentage from 155 games in charge, across two spells, and multiple relegations looks like he was a failure as Crystal Palace manager. However, Big Mal dragged the Palace kicking and screaming into the modern era, and beyond it, doing much for the Club that results on the field alone could never achieve.

Saturday 17th January 2004

Watford 1-5 Crystal Palace

League Division One – Att: 15,017

Manager: Iain Dowie

On a goal crazy day in Division One, an injury-hit Crystal Palace run ten man Watford over at Vicarage Road.

Andy Johnson got the ball rolling on nine minutes and Wayne Routledge added a second half an hour later. The big turning point came on the stroke of half-time when Neil Cox was sent off for upending AJ in the penalty area, and the striker picked himself up to score his second of the game.

Mark Hudson then gave away a penalty that Heidar Helguson (58) tucked away, but it would be a false dawn for the Hornets. Julian Gray made it four with a great solo effort before Dougie Freedman rounded the goalkeeper and slotted a fifth, before kissing the badge in front of the travelling support.

Palace Links: Ray Lewington managed Watford in this one, bringing on former Palace striker Bruce Dyer late on in the match.

Watford’s performance was almost as bad as their programme cover on the day! “You ‘orns!”

Saturday 17th January 2014

Burnley 2-3 Crystal Palace

Premier League – Att: 17,782

Manager: Alan Pardew

One of the games of the season saw Palace come away with the three points, thanks to a fantastic fightback and a last minute winner from Dwight Gayle.

The hosts raced into a 2-0 lead with two goals in four minutes. First, Ben Mee nodded home a deep corner. The weather conditions were horrendous on the day, and the ball eluded Julian Speroni and James McArthur to allow the defender to score.

The second came on sixteen minutes and was heaped in controversy. It looked like the ball had gone out of play and that Joel Ward was then fouled off the field. The ref waved play on, and Scott Arfield found Danny Ings, who slotted past Speroni.

Just before the half hour, Gayle scored the first of his brace, slamming home after McArthur had missed a sitter inside the six yard box. Jason Puncheon then scored for the second game running just after the break with a right footed effort from range.

The hosts showed character, however, and only a goal-line clearance from McArthur kept the scores level, before Puncheon added an assist to his goal. His cross was expertly dummied by Glenn Murray and Gayle fired in from a tight angle to send the travelling support mental behind the goal.

The win saw Palace finish the day in 12th place, instead of the 17th place that a defeat would have resulted in. On a personal level, Alan Pardew was now only 4 points behind his former Club Newcastle.

All Results

What Happened Yesterday?

16th January

Attilio Lombardo played his last ever match for Crystal Palace.

Did you find this Article interesting?

Tweet us your comments