Back in the Day: August 30th - Crystal Palace Plays at Selhurst Park for the First Time

Back in the Day

Saturday 30th August 1924

Crystal Palace 0-1 The Wednesday

League Division Two – Att: 20,000

Manager: Edmund Goodman

Crystal Palace played at Selhurst Park for the first time. The opposition was The Wednesday, now known as Sheffield Wednesday, and they ruined the party with a 0-1 win via a Billy Marsden strike.

We’ve all had that problem: Dick Cracknell

Saturday 30th August 1969

Chelsea 1-1 Crystal Palace

League Division One – Att: 41,908

Manager: Bert Head

Roger Hoy gave Palace a first half lead with a beautifully worked goal before Peter Osgood equalised in the second as Chelsea finally found a way past the exceptional John Jackson in the Crystal Palace goal. Take the time to watch the video below as there are some brilliant saves from the great man.

This was a tremendous result for Palace as Chelsea finished third this season, with Palace finishing third from bottom and only surviving relegation on the final weekend of the season.


Tuesday 30th August 1988

Crystal Palace 1-1 Chelsea

League Division Two – Att: 17,490

Manager: Steve Coppell

This was both Clubs' first fixture of the season, on a Tuesday, when TWELVE teams had already played two matches! Madness.

Kevin Wilson gave Chelsea the lead after eleven minutes before Neil Redfearn equalised on twenty-five. This was one of the few good things that Redfearn did do before he sulked his way out of the club in the October of this year, ending up at Watford.

The goal is not included in the video below, but the production of the video is arguably the most 1980’s thing that has ever happened.

Former Palace midfielder Peter Nicholas turned out for Chelsea in this match and Steve Clarke, who was linked with Crystal Palace as manager once upon a time, saw red.


Saturday 30th August 2014

Newcastle United 3-3 Crystal Palace

Premier League – Att: 49,226

Manager: Neil Warnock

Neil Warnock’s first game in charge in his second spell as Crystal Palace manager was an entertaining one. Pitting his wits against the man that would succeed him later in the season, Alan Pardew, Palace took the lead within seconds of kick-off as Dwight Gayle was first to react after Tim Krul had parried a Marouane Chamakh shot onto the post.

Daryl Janmaat equalised eight minutes before the break when his weak effort somehow found a way into the net but Palace would re-establish the lead straight after the break as Jason Puncheon slammed home a volley, employing beautiful technique in the process.

Newcastle then bought on Rolando Aarons and the youngster changed the game. First, he equalised on seventy-three minutes before setting up Mike Williamson with two minutes remaining to give the Toon the lead for the first time.

However, on his second debut, Wilfried Zaha climbed off the bench to equalise in the ninety-fifth minute.


What Happened Yesterday?

August 29th - Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace 



Did you find this Article interesting?

Tweet us your comments